The Slave Trade in Lisbon - A Historical Walking Tour (Private Option)
- Duração: 3 Horas (Aproximadamente)
- Localização: Lisbon, Lisboa
- Código de produto: P7V07L
In the first half of the 15th century, Portugal under the guidance of Prince Henry the Navigator, began what we now refer to as the Atlantic Slave Trade. This trade saw between 12 to 14 million Africans sold into slavery and taken across the ocean to the Americas. It was a crime against humanity that lasted for four centuries.
In this walking tour, you learn how this trade shaped Portugal's development. You will be guided along back streets and main avenues, monuments, churches and public squares that have a connection with this history and can offer insight into how Lisbon was marked by slavery. We will address various topics such as the genesis of the slavery in the Iberian peninsula, the birth of the Atlantic Slave Trade, the Age of Discovery, the day to day aspects of the life of a slave living in historical Lisbon, the importance of Brazil,towards the abolition of the trade in Portugal, the Portuguese colonies in Africa and the struggle for liberation by African nationalists.
This tour is conducted by a licensed local guide whose mission is to inform travelers what they need to know to enhance their stay in Lisbon, and to promote Portugal's culture and heritage. From recommendations of things to do in the city, to insider advice on public transportation, to other areas you would want to visit on your stay, feel free to ask your guide anything.
The maximum number of participants is 6 people. This way a personal and engaging experience is guaranteed.
- Enjoy a leisurely stroll along the historical quarters of the city coupled with insightful commentary and information
- Gain insight into a topic rarely addressed in the tourism industry
- Visit the Church of Saint Roque and São Domingues
- A detailed explanation on Portugal’s role during the Age of Discovery and the African Slave Trade
- Learn how Portuguese culture and contemporary history was shaped by Africa
- Professional tour guide
Local taxes and fees
Hotel Pickup (subject to confirmation on request)
Meals and drinks
Duration: 3 Hours (approx.)
Price per Person: 50.00 € - Adults; 25.00 € - Youth and Children; 0.00 € - Infants VAT Included
Schedule: Choose between a morning (10:00 am - 1:00 pm) or an afternoon tour (3:00 pm - 6:00 pm)
Meeting Point:in front of the fountain located in the Largo do Chafariz de Dentro